Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentines Day!

Happy Valentines Day to all in Blogger Land. I woke this morning to find a these gorgeous roses and card waiting on the kitchen table for me. My wonderful husband has to leave home around 5am to be at work on time and I don't function at that hour. I had also left him a card on the kitchen table for him to find this morning as I was at a meeting last night. The family was in bed by the time I came home.


The photo below is of my maternal grandparents wedding. Edward Bruce married Anna Scanes on the 1st December 1937 in a small country town in NSW, Australia.

As I was finishing my very first cross stitch (photo below) my Grandfather passed away (14th Sept 1990). I placed the cross stitch in the hoop and gave it my Nan to keep for all the "days to remember". I have many, many, many wonderful memories of being with them through school holidays. They had a farm and welcomed us every holidays with open arms. 7 of our cousins also lived in the area and this was the only time we saw them. We did every thing from building cubbies, collecting wood for the fire, eggs from the chooks, taking morning tea to the shearers, rounding up the sheep and cows, helping with lambing, riding the motorbikes and tractors. We were out the door after breakfast and never in again until sundown (unless for FOOD of course!).

Unfortunately, Nan had to move to a nursing home 3 years ago as she was no longer able to be at home on her own. She found many of her friends there and really enjoyed playing cards and exchanging stories and memories with them. Nan passed away 12th Sept. 2006 and the cross stitch found its way back to me. It hangs in my kitchen and reminds me to cherish every day and remember all the good times!

I hope that you can all have brilliant "days to remember". This is my wish to you.

Lindy

2 comments:

Dani - tkdchick said...

What a lovely story!

Karen said...

I love the photo of your grandparents, the flowers are lovely